Local 2228 Inaugural Women’s Committee Meeting a Success!
On November 14th, a group of 11 members met in Toronto to hold the Local’s inaugural Women’s Committee meeting. It was a perfect setting for this meeting as the committee was able to take part in the IBEW Canadian Women’s Conference in the days following their meeting and network with other like-minded IBEW members from across the country.
The Local’s Women’s Committee set the stage for future endeavors by creating the committee’s statement of purpose, applying for an official charter from the International Office, as well as planning milestones for social outreach activities over the next year.
The main purpose of the committee is to retain and empower the sisters of the Local, so their voices and concerns are heard by providing a forum for discussion on all topics, as well as issues specific to women and other underrepresented groups.
If you are interested in participating on or with this committee in any way, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
It was an honour to take part in the committee’s first meeting and from the professionalism and creativity I witnessed, the Local can expect great things to come. The committee composition is as follows:
- Meaghan Olmstead – Assistant Business Manager, IBEW LU 2228, Ottawa
- Gurjeet Kaur – Committee Chair / Region 5 Executive Board Representative, Nav Canada, Winnipeg MB
- Nicole Maillette – TBS: Canadian Coast Guard, Sydney NS
- Karine Taillon – TBS: Department of National Defense, Montreal QC
- Sarah Prud’homme – Nav Canada, Ottawa ON
- Sanja Filipovic – Nav Canada, Toronto ON
- Katelyn Osadec – Nav Canada, Winnipeg MB
- Kathryn Van Ameyde – Nav Canada, Winnipeg MB
- Arianne Smith-Piquette – CKUA, Edmonton AB
- Nat Riopelle – Vice-President IBEW Local 2228, Rogers Media, Edmonton AB
- Chelsea Gill – Nav Canada, Vancouver BC
A very special thank you to Meaghan Olmstead, the Local’s Assistant Business Manager, who orchestrated and planned this event, and also to International Representative, Cheryl Paron who has assisted the Local along the way. Many thanks to you both for making this happen.
Business Manager/ Financial Secretary
IBEW LU 2228