Treasury Board Direction on Critical Services
During this time of uncertainty and confusion we wanted to provide some guidance on the topic of “Critical Services”.
Please click <HERE> to view a communication from the Chief Human Resources Officer from the Treasury Board Secretariat, Nancy Chahwan.
Of note to the membership:
- “The Government of Canada has asked that employees, at all work sites, work from home whenever and wherever possible, and that managers identify an approach that is flexible while ensuring continued critical government operations and services to Canadians.”
- “This guidance remains in force until April 10, 2020, and will be reassessed closer to the date based on how the situation is evolving.”
- “In cases where a manager determines that working remotely is not at all possible, non-critical employees will be eligible for “other leave with pay” (code 699)”
- “Managers are to consider on-site work only if the work meets the definition of critical service and working remotely to support it is not feasible. “
“A critical service is one that, if disrupted, would result in a high or very high degree of injury to the health, safety, security or economic well-being of Canadians, or to the
- effective functioning of the Government of Canada. All departments are required to identify their respective critical services and related supporting resources. For more information, please refer to the Policy on Government Security.”
- “By contrast, an essential service is used to determine which positions must continue to provide service during strike activity. Essential service agreements are agreed to with the bargaining agents. No current essential service agreements exist for the vast majority of public service organizations.”
The links are below to the TBS website that has this communication as well as several others regarding the ongoing COVID-19 situation:
Please review the information and forward any essential/non-essential work issues that occur to the business office.
Stay safe out there Brothers and Sisters.
Assistant Business Manager
IBEW Local 2228